Juggling motherhood can be a daunting prospect; trying to be an amazing mum, a successful career woman, a social butterfly keeping up with friends, a super fit athlete and keep the house clean…it is about finding the right balance for you. This is different for everyone, things do have to shift around a bit; babies are demanding! However it doesn’t mean everything else has to stop completely. There will be a pause at the beginning, then it is about finding the balance that works for you.
Here are 5 key tips to help you juggle!
- Make time for yourself – you may have weeks when you feel completely burned out and others where you feel you could have done so much more. Take time for trial and error with this.
- Make some things easier for yourself – batch cook meals for the freezer so you’ve easy weekday dinners ready for the microwave, find running routes you can take the buggy – naptime + run! Or do mum and baby exercise, meet friends who have babies in groups & have a group chat to take pressure of individual replies.
- Let people know you’re having a busy few weeks and you’ll get back to them.
- Try to prioritise what’s most important to you and focus your energy there, accepting that you will have less time and energy for things than you did before.
- Remember too that what people say or post on line is most of the time a tiny snapshot of their reality, so try not to get hung up on what you perceive others to be doing and thinking you “should” be able to do more than you can.
If you find you are really struggling, talk to your GP, or seek support from health visitors or a therapist who can help you try to find the right balance for you.